Friday, March 6, 2015

Homage to “Go, Dog, Go!”

This past week schools across the US, my children’s included, celebrated Read Across America. Dr. Seuss is par for the course this week and each day the kids were encouraged to show reading spirit by wearing wacky socks or their pajamas to school.

As the week comes to a close, I’d like to give my endorsement for a book that has been the object of my dislike and an indifference, but now, over the past week, has finally succeeded in receiving some praise: "Go, Dog, Go!"“by P.D. Eastman. In the remote possibility you don’t know this fifty year-old children’s classic, here’s the summary. Dogs of all shapes, sizes and colors get in cars and go to a really fantastic party being held on the top of a tree. The sub-plot is the story of two dogs that don’t like each other’s hats but, by the end, the naysayer gives in and agrees he actually likes the other’s hat. That’s pretty much it. I’ve always wondered whether the author wrote it after getting home from a really fantastic party but before coffee and a shower.


Ten years ago now I worked part-time in a childcare center. I was assigned to a room of two year-old boys, one of whom was named Lawrence. Lawrence LOVED “Go, Dog, Go.” I recall reading it over and over and watching his eyes light up every time. I also remember how much the childcare director detested the book; she didn’t have one redeeming word to say about it.

I get that; it seems pretty inane on the first few reads. But hear me out: My praise for the book all comes down to relationships. I believe it can nurture relationships on three levels: the words themselves, the reader’s relationship to the world around him/her and the relationship between those reading the book. First, this book is all about learning how letters fit together to make words. As I read this book with my daughter many times over the last few weeks, she insisted that I follow the words with my fingers. It might be a runner up to Seuss’ “The Cat in the Hat” but it’s still a great one for learning to read.

I also noticed tonight how much this easy reader thrives on preposition as well as repetition: the dogs are “over”, “under”, “out” and “in.” I can see Miriam’s wheels turning as she sees the one dog telling the others to “get down, dogs. Don’t play up there.” We are constantly figuring out how we relate to one another: have we been “one-upped” or “down-sized?” The child, completely focused on self, is being ushered into some kind of understanding of that which is beyond her. And all while reading about dogs up on a house and down in the water.

Most importantly, I was reminded what makes a great book fun to read with really young children: room for questions. The book seems to be about not much, but that simplicity opens the door to all kinds of inquiry: “Mom, what instrument is that dog playing?” (a banjo). “Mom, I bet those dogs are going to the tree” (yep, foreshadowing at its best). “Mom, do you want a hat like that?  (“No, it’s too big; my head would hurt.”). I love her questions about the story more than the story itself.

I would list reading with my children as one of my favorite past times, even when I’ve had to read four books about Frozen for days on end. (Yes, That's another reason why I’m glad Miriam has switched to this little book about dogs for a while). Black dogs, white dogs, yellow dogs, and yes, the color not mentioned in print but in picture, the pink dog at the dog party. Miriam pointed that out because no colored assortment of dogs would be complete without a pink one.





No comments:

Post a Comment