Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Buy-bye Florida


“What is there to do other than buy things?”

It was a casual, off-hand comment by a friend. We were waiting for our dinner table, strolling the City Walk at Universal Studios Orlando.  Soon we would eat dinner at an establishment famous for preaching the good life according to Jimmy Buffet and Olaf: The sun and the sand, “with a drink in my hand.” It’s 5 o’clock somewhere. 


Believe me, my first time in Florida has given me insight into the snowbird culture. Why deal with snow and ice when you can walk under palm trees and sit on a beach? The air? It was heavenly. My skin? No longer dry as sandpaper. My spirit? Refreshed and renewed by sun, water and quality time with friends.

But those who know me know that I like to see both sides of a coin. Vacations in places like this revolve around consumption. Now, is that different than a vacation anywhere else? Don’t all places that invite our visit expect a trip to the souvenir shop?

Perhaps. But the sheer number of attractions down here seems overly focused on consumption. Today I was going to buy post-card stamps to send a few back home (they’d arrive after I did, of course). You could purchase two stamps for $1.25. Two post-card stamps at a US post office costs $.68. Why a mark-up for stamps? Even a picture of where you’ve been costs more?!

I decided against the stamps but did end up buying over-priced souvenirs for the kids. I’ll take home a Hogwarts’s Express T-Shirt for Thomas, a shark shirt from Clearwater Beach for Luke and another Frozen cup for Miriam. If I think too much about what I paid for them and what those who made those items actually earn for their labor, guilt sets in. It’s so much easier to have another margarita and not think about it.

What I’ll truly take home from Florida can’t be stuffed into my carry-on: gratitude for friends’ generosity, memories, laughter and time to relax. Yet these gifts will be mixed with a deeper awareness of the lure of stuff. I wonder how a shift away from vacation as consumption would be restorative for us and for the earth itself?




No comments:

Post a Comment