Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Walking the Walk


Margaret Mead's words call out to me this evening:

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

I didn’t know a single soul in the room, but I ventured out to my local library this evening. The meeting was the first in the Northeast Metro area (Twin Cities) of Moms Demand Action for Gunsense in America. We heard presentation from a leader who thought herself to be the most unlikely activist; she didn’t even join Moms Demand Action until after Parkland. The women (and men!) in the room were there because they were concerned citizens, concerned that seven American children or teens are shot and killed every day.

I also learned that this group is a big tent. The woman who led our meeting hunts grouse in Minnesota. Her husband is a gun owner. Her involvement and leadership in this group communicates how important it is for men and women to work together for common sense gun legislation including better background checks and preventing those who are a real danger to themselves or others from owning guns.

Today young people around the country walked out. Some argued that this was not the right response, that they should have “walked up” instead.  Rachel Held Evans posted eloquently today about this false dichotomy. Being kind to your classmates and choosing to make a stand on behalf of fellow young people who lost their lives to gun violence are not opposite choices. As a Lutheran Christian, I am steeped in both/and thinking. Many faith traditions are encouraged to develop a personal spiritual practice and public witness, not one or the other. We can pray for 17 minutes in our home for the 17 who died in Parkland as one of my friends posted about today. That's one important kind of solidarity. We can also march today and everyday as needed, walking the walk as well as talking the talk. I think of all the Rise Up T-shirts my husband has from the last Youth Gathering of our denomination. I wonder: How many of those teens gathered in Detroit in 2015 connected their willingness to make a stand today to this previous call to Rise Up?


I don’t know yet of all the specific actions I will take to lend my passion to this local group, but I know that I will. I encourage all of you who care about gun violence or other pressing issues—whether you consider yourself an activist or not—to find a small group of thoughtful citizens. Facebook can help you connect, but don’t stay there. Call it naivete or simply looking at history. Small groups can make a difference. The arc of history is long, but bends toward justice. That is my prayer, but also, Spirit willing, my steps.

1 comment: